BANGKOK, May 8, 2019 – SET Market Report for April 2019, Index gained 2.1 percent from the previous month to 1,673.52 points at the end of April, and was the second best performing bourse in ASEAN. The average daily trading value of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) in April was THB 41.92 billion (approx. USD 1.31 billion), steady from the preceding month. Foreign and local institutional investors were the net buyers of Thai shares in April.
SET Senior Executive Vice President Soraphol Tulayasathien said that SET Index, in line with other Asian stock markets, continued to yield positive return and foreign investors were net buyers of Thai shares in April, bolstered by external factors including the more compromising trade negotiation between the US and China and an agreement on Brexit delay. Despite the clearer factors, some uncertainties prevail and investors should be prudent and essentially take fundamentals and business growth potential into account in making investment decision.
Key highlights for April
– SET Index ended April at 1,673.52 points, up 2.1 percent from end-March. Agro & Food, Resources, Technology, and Services industry groups outperformed SET Index.
– In April, foreign investors bought a net THB 3.34 billion of Thai shares.
– The average daily trading value of SET and mai in April inched 0.2 percent higher from the preceding month to THB 41.92 billion.
– Forward and historical P/E ratios of SET were 15.5 times and 17.5 times respectively at the end of April, above the average of the Asian peers of 14.5 and 16.3 times respectively.
– Dividend yield ratio of SET was 3.12 percent at the end-April, higher than Asian stock markets‘ average ratio of 2.74 percent.
– A combined market capitalization of SET and mai at end-April increased by 7 percent from end-2018 to THB 17.4 trillion, moving in tandem with SET Index.
– Fund mobilized through IPOs during the four months through April was THB 6.05 billion, the highest in ASEAN.
– In April, the average derivatives trading volume plunged by 35 percent from the previous month to 263,192 contracts per day.
“SET… Make it Work for Everyone”